Sunday, August 15, 2010

Exit and Entry -- August 15, 2010


Addressed to the members of IAS Chhattisgarh Cadre:

Parting Epistle


Dr P.Raghavan I.A.S (Retd.)
Raipur Dt. 31-12-07
Dear friends,
I superannuated from I.A.S in July, 2007 after 36 years in government service. I am thank ful to the God Almighty for enabling me to come up to this point in life with all the successes and mixed results to varying degrees in several assignments kept by different governments from time to time during this period both in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh states.

In the last three-four decades I have seen different degrees of integrity and fellow feeling practiced and exhibited by seniors and juniors in the cadre. The camaraderie found in practice in early years of my career is totally missing now. Modern day living and deterioration in moral standards have taken precedence over moderation in every field of activity. Self-interest seems to enjoy an over-riding priority in all the actions of some individuals in governments of late. Heavens are not going to fall if well established norms, best practices and exemplary conventions are allowed to continue and prevail in government while handling of service matters. Discriminatory practices at the highest levels have become a rule and a disturbing phenomenon, which are certainly not a good sign for future and faster development of the state. A successful team leader is supposed to keep his flock together in day-to-day administration to achieve the common goals in a given time-frame. But unfortunately such an expectation and tradition has been given a go-by with a view to sub-serving the vested interest of a group aligned on the basis of caste and region.

Fair play and impartial conduct has been the hallmark of my administrative style throughout the career. I have tried to practice this principle from the day I joined the Service till the date of my superannuation although it led to a great disadvantage and embarrassment -- directly or indirectly annoying the top man in government affecting my career prospects in the process. But I can state with honesty and courage that I never and never approached an influential bureaucrat or a political master for a posting or promotion with the result I had a long and chequered career, sometimes holding very good posts and at times holding unimportant and demeaning posts but I never relented from my principles. I had led a career on my own terms and conditions without any fear or favour towards any individual throughout. I still enjoy the same reputation and respect among all those colleagues and the staff with whom I had an opportunity to work in various capacities. I had treated every subordinate of mine with the same regard and sympathy I had expected from my superiors although some of them had behaved strangely suffering from some complex or other.

Integrity of an individual is born with that person. It derives different definitions and differs only in degrees from person to person. But some individuals in service seem to have a feeling that they are the direct descendants of infallible Harischandra. Time will expose their double standards sooner or later. Albeit some individuals in C.G.Cadre have played a successful inning and occupied the top post in a clandestine and cunning style, I have the following averment to share with you at this hour:

“I have lost the battle but not the war”
I have written a poem on an interesting topic:



“ System's Fault or Default? ”

There is a system in every walk of life
Wonder of the system is its longevity.
System defines a standard on its own
Fault in a system is created by default

Men of a system are the real devils
They shake off its morals like a hat
An individual in a system is a part
It quietly sidelines the one different.

System takes care of its likeminded
So beautifully & successfully, surely
So shameful and awful are its means
So stunning and slamming, oh! God.

As part of a system one gains a lot
Assured of a smooth passage & joy
Individuals flock together like ants
Individuals help each other quickly.

Try to enrage a system by quizzing
Trifle or tricky a query as you can
You are easily noted & pushed out
You keep wondering all the while.

Raghu always suffers in a system due
Raghu's own stubborn steadfastness
Come what may, Sacrifice own gain
Come on, lone life, he never minds.

System gets a jolt only sometimes
Systemic faults are dealt strongly,
Systematically & constantly, then
System changes & accommodates.

[Raipur
28-03-06]

I shall be grateful for an acknowledgement thro’ e-mail if possible.


With best wishes

Yours sincerely,

Dr P.Raghavan
E-mail: p_raghavan47@yahoo.co.in

No comments:

Post a Comment