Thursday, October 2, 2014



Mission in life --  "shramdan" during Gandhi Jayanti

Whether one likes it or not,  Gandhiji was my childhood hero and so I continued to practice his principle of cleanliness and "shramdan" for community work from the day one I joined government service. I started celebrating Gandhi Jayanti regularly since 1972 starting with Durg District of erstwhile Madhya Pradesh by adopting a village as the Assistant Collector under training. My collector,  Additional collector and Asst. collectors posted at that time in that district used to wonder at my approach. Similarly I observed Gandhi Jayanti for two years as Sub Divisional Officer in Jashpur Sub Division (1973-75), as Additional Collector for two years in Raipur District (1975-77) and as Collector in Betul and Sagar districts (1977-82). I was considered a fool.

As a paradox I received a letter from my boss A.S Das, the Commssioner of Sagar Division asking my reaction and reply to the complaint against me as if I was taking drinks, eating non-veg foods and relaxing in the tents pitched for the tours in the interior part of the district. I was shocked to receive such a reward for the hard and sincere work with an innovative approach to solve the problems of the poor at their doorsteps. I never cared for my bosses in my career, nor bothered about their A.C.R (Annual Confidential Reports) on the basis of which promotions normally take place in the government. I used to wonder as to how I got promoted to the post of Principal Secretary because I never pleased my bosses both in the hierarchy and the ministers in office. My practices based on Gandhian principles - impartial treatment to those who approached for any work and always helping the poor and less-privileged people out of the way even at the cost of my career. My senior and junior colleagues were wondering at my attitude and behaviour in the presence of those who really mattered in official career.

As Commissioner of Sagar Division for two years (1990-92) I continued to clean the sewerage and drains in the lanes of Scheduled Caste mohalla (wards) of Sagar town in which I involved the gents and ladies of Rotary Club and Lions Club in addition to my wife and children.

Clean India campaign in Gullu village, Arang Block, Raipur district initiated in Government Primary and Middle schools with 200 students and twenty teachers is the latest on October 2, 2014 in the series even after retirement.

After 42 years of relentless pursuance of 'shramdan' on Gandhi Jayanti days I am now thrilled to see a Prime Minister with a similar approach towards cleanliness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment